We have boarding schools now, imparting ‘education’ in English medium. Teachers use classroom routines in English, teach lessons in English, probably not paying attention to whether the learners understand them or not. Following are some funny Nepali-English expessions you might encounter in English medium schools in Nepal. I leave up to the Choutari readers to make their interpretations in relation to what this means to our society, identity, and role of English in the Nepalese context.
1. There is no wind in the football.
2. I talk, he talk, why you middle talk?
3. You rotate the ground 4 times.
4. You did no homework? You go and under stand the tree with one leg and catch your ears.
5. I’ll give clap on your face.
6. Bring your parents with your mother and father.
7. Why haircut not cut?
8. Why are you looking outside at monkeys when I am in class?
9. Throw paper in dustbin or I’ll throw myself.